Things are starting to look UP!
• UK manufacturers’ optimism and output have both increased slightly, according to BDO Stoy Hayward research.
• The price of oil shot up from under $34 a barrel in February to touch $60 in mid-May thanks to improved confidence in the economy and commodities and a weaker dollar. Unsure as to whether this is a good or bad thing but at least it indicates the economy going in the right direction
• Peak-to-trough, the FTSE-100 index fell 3,203 points, or 48%, between June 2007 and March 2009. Since then, the index has regained almost 30% of its losses, climbing 916 points or 26% to 4,446.
• Retail sales in the UK were up 0.4% in February, March and April compared with the same period last year, according to the British Retail Consortium. In London, sales were up 5.5%. In April alone, nationwide sales were up 4.6% year-on-year, 5.2% in London.
• Travel group Thomas Cook reported a larger first-half loss on increased revenue, but increased its dividend, confident that full-year forecasts would be met.
• SABMiller said that British drinkers were sticking with expensive brands such as Peroni, which saw UK sales up 40% year-on-year.
• Invensys said it would make its first dividend payout since 2003.
Looking for interview tips?
100% again another well matched candidate. The whole accounts department now consists of HT candidates.Practice Manager Legal Company in Surrey
We have used Howett Thorpe for a number of roles. The relationship we have with the staff there is excellent and we know it's only a quick call and they will have everything in hand.Human Resources IT company in Surrey
Richard was fantastic - great quality CVs and a pleasure to work with, would definitely use Howett Thorpe again.Human Resources Catering Company in Middlesex
Excellent service as usual! Wouldn't use another agency - Howett Thorpe are the only agency that don't harass me every other week!Finance Manager Leisure Industry in Surrey
Julia is a joy to work with. Understands needs of role and company. Fourth recruitment done for me and has yet to provide a CV I wouldn't hire. She is the reason I use Howett Thorpe, a real asset you.Group Financial Controller IT company in Hampshire
Julia has saved me so much time and effort by ensuring that I get the right CV's. She has made sure that the process runs as smoothly as possible, and is a pleasure to work with. I cannot recommend Julia highly enough.Group Financial Controller IT company, Surrey
Laura was amazing and made me feel at ease the whole way through the whole interview process to getting the job. She really is one in a million.Group Financial Controller G Potts
We have worked with Laura for several years now and she always manages to understand our needs, she is a dream to work with.Finance Manager Import Company in Surrey
Very helpful and prompt in arranging suitable candidates.Processing Manager Business Services in Surrey
Mark Bonner specifically has been a great support and we have enjoyed working with himHuman Resources Blue Chip company in Surrey